Monday 2 July 2012

I Saw a UFO!

I saw a UFO!

Or at least I think I did.

I mean, I saw SOMETHING in the sky. It might have been a planet, a star, a giant pizza, or perhaps something a little more... alien.

Honestly though, I don't know what it was.

It was January 25, 2009 when I actually saw it in the sky in Toronto. Actually, my dad saw it first and shouted out for me to come take a look because whatever it was he saw was unusually bright in the sky.

I ran outside and took a look. Whatever it was, certainly was unusual but with the bare eye you really couldn't read too much into it. So I did what any curious person would do and grabbed my camera. It was just a Mini DV, SD camera at the time but the lux capacity wasn't bad and I had a tripod, so I was able to get some decent footage of it.

It was a cold night so I didn't stay outside the whole time it was filming, but when I reviewed the footage later I edited it together into a short 4-5 minute clip with some of the highlights. Some of the stuff I saw it do I was pretty blown away by! Not only was it quite bizarre looking, but at various points in the video it was pulsating!

Until recently, I thought this was one of the strangest and most inexplicable things I had ever seen... but then a couple of months ago I saw it in the sky again. This time I had a better, HD camera so I wasted no time getting it out and filming the strange shape. As I watched in the viewfinder, it started pulsating in front of my own eyes - quite a bit!

That's when I started to get suspicious. I moved the object around to the corners of the viewfinder (with the camera on a tripod) and found that it would constantly pulsate when it was in the corners.

Turns out that that was just the camera trying to focus between close-up and landscape.

Okay, so that part wasn't so paranormal. The bit about it pulsating in my video is no longer relevant with that discovery, but you have to admit - whatever it is sure does look strange through the camera lens.

Is it paranormal? Or is it just a planet? One thing is for sure, by definition I saw a UFO.


2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful shot of Venus. Especially at the time of evening you mention it's the best time to view Venus at its brightest before it descends below the horizon. Depending on time of year and its orbital position relative to us it can be very bright. It is one of the most commonly photographed objects in the sky and reported as a UFO. The pulsing as you mention is likely your camera's autofocus trying to focus the point light source. Consumer cameras are not very good at this task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's for your comment Osku! And you are definitely correct about the camera's autofocus. That is something I realized when I saw the object a second time recently, and was able to make it "pulsate" by focusing it in the edge of the camera lens. Next time I'll be sure to use a manual focus rather than an auto to prevent this. Live and learn!

      Delete